This is your user page. Please edit this page to tell the community about yourself!
Just a bit about me: I actually got into PR from "Day of the Dumpster" due to being a Fox Kids watcher at the time and was hooked. I sort of knew a bit about the Sentai origins of the franchise early on (dad once got me a Japanese Zyuranger set of the original five which I have somewhere; didn't have DragonRanger sad to say) but not really enough to care. Originally during the PR period, I saw the original three seasons and Zeo; dropped out when I didn't see the Turbo movie (since that was required), stayed out until someone convinced me to see Time Force, loved Time Force, barely got into Wild Force (but did see "Forever Red" and "The End of the Power Rangers" when they aired, great stuff) Heard bits and pieces of PR and SS after that time but really nothing struck me.
First attempt to get into Sentai was about the point PR went off with the end of RPM; I started watching Jetman...but never finished it. I got up to the episode Tran changed into Tranza but the episode...well I both forgot and it wasn't really a very good episode. (poor defenseless cows eaten by humans)
Tried again when Gokaiger hype started up and I saw clips of the Legend War. This time I started with Dekaranger (mostly cause it won the Seiun Award; the equivalent of the Saturn in the US)...and I've been hooked since. While I do want to try and get back into PR (well mostly want the Time-Life set to see everything I missed from the Saban era and the good Disney seasons), I'm mostly working the Sentai side of things.
Favorite Sentai Information
- Favorite Sentai Series: Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
- Favorite Opening Theme: to be determined
- Favorite Ending Theme: to be determined
- Favorite Red Sentai Ranger: Jan Kandou/GekiRed
- Favorite Blue Sentai Ranger: Ryu Higashi/DiaJack
- Favorite Yellow Sentai Ranger: Sara/Yellow Flash
- Favorite Green Sentai Ranger: Minoru Uesugi/Green Racer
- Favorite Pink Sentai Ranger: Sakura Nishihori/Bouken Pink
- Favorite Black Sentai Ranger: Kenta/Black Mask
- Favorite White Sentai Ranger: Sayaka Nagisa/Change Mermaid
- Favorite Gold Sentai Ranger: Genta Umemori/Shinken Gold
- Favorite Silver Sentai Ranger: Miu Sutou/Go-On Silver
- Favorite "Other" Ranger: Signalman
- Favorite Sentai Power-Up: S.W.A.T Mode
- Favorite Weapon: Yellow Megaton Ball
- Favorite Main Villain: Doctor Hinelar
- Favorite Secondary Villain: Sorcery Priest Meemy
- Favorite Male General: Adjutant Booba
- Favorite Female General: Ley Nefel
- Favorite Main Mecha: Goggle Robo
- Favorite Secondary Mecha: GoGo Drill
- Favorite Sixth Ranger Mecha: Travelion
- Favorite Final Mecha: Ultimate Daizyujin
- Favorite Mecha Combination: SirenBuilder Dozer and Marine
- Favorite Sentai Team-Up: Samurai Sentai Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger: GinmakuBang!!
- Favorite Sentai Summer Movie: Dengeki Sentai Changeman: The Movie
Favorite Sentai (in airing order, limited spoilers)
- Sentai Watched: 16 of 38
- Currently Watching: Himitsu Sentai Gorenger,Kagaku Sentai Dynaman, Ressha Sentai ToQger
- Set to Watch:
- 2014: Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive, Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger, Tensou Sentai Goseiger
- 2015 (tentative): Denshi Sentai Denziman, Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan, Choudenshi Bioman, Kousoku Sentai Turboranger, Seijuu Sentai Gingaman, Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger, Engine Sentai Go-Onger or Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
- My Sentai Guides: Guides and explanations as to why the series below are ranked as they are in season order
Highly Recommended (very few problems, just plain good)
- Dai Sentai Goggle V
- Dengeki Sentai Changeman
- Choushinsei Flashman
- Gekisou Sentai Carranger
- Denji Sentai Megaranger
- Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
- Juken Sentai Gekiranger: This series is built on strong fundamentals based upon animal based martial arts, training and restoring balance to a flawed black-and-white war. Its strongest themes involve the balance of a central "Triangle", augmented by alternate philosophies and a central story involving a destined rivalry and true love unintentionally brought about by an unseen hand. While the one-shot stories are rather terrible, the power-ups seem non-stop at one point and some of the major concepts seem almost lost towards the end, the woven way the tale is told alongside the basics and the central themes (even with a weird way it was brought back in the final episode) ultimately win out leading to a great and satisfying Sentai.
Recommended (flawed but still has great things)
- Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger
- Gosei Sentai Dairanger
- Mahou Sentai Magiranger: This season is beloved by many...but I sort of had a torturous time getting through it. It's a season that really tries to throw the concept of "family" at you over and over while creating a massive world with a lot of weird rules and regulations, yet it seems to have problems in doing both. Mind you there are positives: the main saga about the team coping and then searching for their mother is emotional and is the driving force of the season, one of the most important villains really gets interesting once his secret starts coming to light, and the mid-point boss is one of the best in franchise history as is his rivalry with this season's 6th. But the first third is tough for me to get through and the final third is mostly a disaster outside a sweet resolution to the real ending...only to lead to several more episodes before one of the worst endings in all Sentai. But the cast has heart and it does try so it isn't unwatchable...just tough to get through.
- GoGo Sentai Boukenger: On paper, the concept is just incredible: a team of adventurers traveling the world using vehicles (that also happen to be their mechs) collecting dangerous artifacts that can cause chaos if they fall in evil hands, which include multiple factions trying to work for themselves but allying with each other for their own purposes. And ultimately that is where Boukenger succeeds: the one-shots are pretty much the most fun in the entire franchise and the villains are a unique system that just allow for a lot of different storytelling potentials. Unfortunately...they decided to have recurring stories this season...and that's where the weaknesses emerge. One saga becomes rather anti-climactic and ultimately really just lead to one character being trapped in a dumb climax, another created unneeded and stupid angst for another and a third de-evolved into boring monotony which, if it weren't for a nice twist that salvaged the last arc, would have felt wasted for this season's 6th. The season's concept was really enough for success...too bad they had to make drama.
- Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: This really is a season I want to hate: it's dull, trapped in a lot of formalities, way too much angst and being driven more by shocking twists and moments than anything. Most of the characters are just very dull and a lot of the conflicts do get tedious with the creation of angst that doesn't have to be there. Yet I can't just not recommend this season because there are great things going on regardless of it's problems. The team can act when needed, the 6th is one of the most hilarious characters to ever be a Sentai hero (maybe possibly a second member as well), the battles are creative both in hero and mech forms and the shock moments really are just that good, particularly the main villain finally letting loose and the revelation of this season's ultimate twist. It is tough to bare through but there is good out of the season regardless.