|This article is about a/an episode in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.|
|Lions & Blizzards|
|Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Season 1), Episode 1x44|
|Air date February 10, 1994|
|Written by Shell Danielson|
|Directed by Robert Hughes|
Something Fishy (Mighty Morphin)
Crystal of Nightmares
The Rangers and their friends win the grand prize at the annual Oddball Games: the Noble Lion Trophy. Rita and Goldar plot to transform the trophy into a ferocious monster.
The Rangers are all participating in the annual Oddball Games, and as is to be expected, their team is winning against Bulk and Skull’s (and Angela’s). For the tiebreaker, Mr. Caplan announces a tug-of-war, which the teens also win, along with the Noble Lion Trophy. Afterwards, Zack helps Angela out of the mud.
However, the trophy disappears soon after, to everyone’s dismay. Bulk and Skull have stolen it. As the teens go after them, they are attacked by Putties, but manage to defeat them. However, the Putties retrieve the Trophy, and Rita casts her spell on it.
Returning to the Juice Bar, Jason comments on Angela, but Zack says he’s given up on her. As he speaks, Angela walks in, and suggests they go to a matinee. Zack leaves with her as Goatan begins to create a storm. By the time it reaches tornado watch, Zordon contacts Jason, Billy, Kim and Trini, summoning them to the Command Center and debriefing them. Alpha is unable to contact Zack, who is focusing on trying to win over Angela (with limited success).
Morphing, the other Rangers face Goatan, who traps them in a cyclone. Zack finally notices his communicator watch just as Angela starts to warm to him, and Zack reluctantly leaves. His attack forces Rita to make Goatan grow, and the Rangers summon their Zords. During the fight, the monster freezes the Megazord solid, but Zack suggests they spin to knock the ice off, and it works. They destroy Goatan.
As Rita struggles with another headache, Zordon congratulates the Rangers on their victory, and Zack remembers Angela alone in the theater. He slips back inside, claiming it was a long line to get the popcorn, and Angela promptly upends the bucket on his head.
In the Juice Bar, a policeman drags in the mud-soaked Bulk and Skull, and after some teasing, the teens identify them. Discovering something (a frog) moving under his clothes, Bulk spazzes out and hits the ladder where Ernie is watering a plant, promptly getting doused with water.
- Austin St. John as Jason Lee-Scott (Red Ranger)
- Walter Jones as Zack Taylor (Black Ranger)
- David Yost as Billy Cranston (Blue Ranger)
- Thuy Trang as Trini Kwan (Yellow Ranger)
- Amy Jo Johnson as Kimberly Hart (Pink Ranger)
- Paul Schrier as Bulk
- Jason Narvy as Skull
- Richard Genelle as Ernie
- Renee Griggs as Angela
- David Fielding as Zordon
- Robert L. Manahan as Zordon (voice)
- Romy J. Sharf as Alpha 5
- Richard Steven Horvitz as Alpha 5 (voice)
- Machiko Soga as Rita Repulsa
- Barbara Goodson as Rita Repulsa (voice)
- Takashi Sakamoto as Goldar
- Kerrigan Mahan as Goldar (voice)
- Takako Iiboshi as Finster
- Robert Axelrod as Finster (voice)
- Minoru Watanabe as Squatt
- Michael J. Sorich as Squatt (voice)
- Hideaki Kusaka as Baboo
- Dave Mallow as Baboo (voice)
- Richard Epcar (lion) and Tony Oliver (goat) as Goatan (voice)
- Ami Kawai as Scorpina
- For the first time in the series, Angela finally returns Zack's affections, asking him out to a matinee.
- Though Goatan is described as "half goat, half lion" by both Rita and Zordon, his snake tail (visible in several shots) suggests the costume design was based on the mythological chimera. This is later confirmed by dialogue between Alpha 5 and Zack.
- The Zord battle with Goatan is the first time a Ranger other than Jason calls for the Power Sword (Zack summons it down). It is also Zack who gives the trademark, "We need Dinozord power, now!" call when Rita grows Goatan to giant size, despite the fact that Jason is present.
- Scorpina is seen briefly behind Rita in one of the Moon Base shots, but has no lines and no other role in the episode.
- This episode marks the rare time that a monster is created from an item which isn't restored after the monster's destruction (this being explicitly stated at the end of the episode).
- This is the last episode to use monster footage from Zyuranger.
- First episode to play the song Fight.