|This article is about a/an episode in Power Rangers Dino Thunder.|
|Legacy of Power|
|Dino Thunder, Episode 12x04|
Back in Black
Legacy of Power is the fourth episode of Power Rangers: Dino Thunder and the 500th episode of Power Rangers in general. Due to its anniversary nature, it is a clip show giving a broad outline of the preceding eleven seasons.
The Dino Thunder Rangers are in Dr. O's laboratory basement, panicking over his sudden disappearance. Ethan hacks into Dr. O's computer and sees his video diary, which explains his history as a Power Ranger.
Shortly into the video, Ethan pauses it so that he and Conner can let it soak in, that their teacher is the oldest living power ranger. Immediately, Hayley (from the Cyberspace Cafe) shows up and corrects them, that Dr. O is not the oldest; just the best.
After a commercial break, she admits that she designed the Dino Morphers, explaining that Tommy was good with fossils and bones, but is not a rocket scientist.
The Rangers and Hayley continue to watch more of Tommy's video diary while trying to think of some way to rescue him. After watching the history of Ninja Storm, Conner tries to show off some moves, and accidentally kicks the computer. Fortunately, that turned out to be a blessing in disguise, since it jogged the computer's memory and allowed Hayley to locate an Invisiportal to Mesogog's lab, leading to the next episode, Back in Black.
- James Napier as Conner McKnight (Red Dino Thunder Ranger)
- Kevin Duhaney as Ethan James (Blue Dino Thunder Ranger)
- Emma Lahana as Kira Ford (Yellow Dino Thunder Ranger)
- Jason David Frank as Dr. Tommy Oliver
- Ismay Johnston as Hayley Ziktor
- Tom Hern as Devin Del Valle
- Katrina Devine as Cassidy Cornell
- Latham Gaines as Mesogog
- Miriama Smith as Elsa
- James Gaylyn as Zeltrax (voice)
- Austin St. John as Jason Lee Scott (Red Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #1) (Gold Zeo Ranger #2) (archive footage)
- Walter Jones as Zack Taylor (Black Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #1) (archive footage)
- David Yost as Billy Cranston (Blue Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger) (archive footage)
- Thuy Trang as Trini Kwan (Yellow Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #1) (archive footage)
- Amy Jo Johnson as Kimberly Hart (Pink Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #1) (archive footage)
- David Fielding as Zordon (archive footage)
- Bob Manahan as Zordon (voice) (archive footage)
- Richard Steven Horvitz as Alpha 5 (voice) (archive footage)
- Machiko Soga as Rita Repulsa (archive footage)
- Barbara Goodson as Rita Repulsa (voice) (archive footage)
- Ed Neil as Lord Zedd (archive footage)
- Robert Axelrod as Lord Zedd (voice) (archive footage)
- Karan Ashley as Aisha Campbell (Yellow Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #2) (archive footage)
- Steve Cardenas as Rocky DeSantos (Red Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #2) (Zeo Ranger III, Blue) (archive footage)
- Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam Park (Black Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #2) (Zeo Ranger IV, Green) (Green Turbo Ranger #1) (archive footage)
- Kim Strauss as Ninjor (voice) (archive footage)
- Catherine Sutherland as Kat Hillard (Pink Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger #2) (Zeo Ranger I, Pink) (Pink Turbo Ranger #1) (archive footage)
- Nakia Burrise as Tanya Sloan (Zeo Ranger II, Yellow) (Yellow Turbo Ranger #1) (archive footage)
- Brad Hawkins as Trey of Triforia/(Gold Zeo Ranger #1) (voice only)(archive footage)
- Blake Foster as Justin Stewart (Blue Turbo Ranger) (archive footage)
- Carol Hoyt as Dimitria (voice) (archive footage)
- Selwyn Ward as T.J. Johnson (Red Turbo Ranger #2) (Blue Space Ranger) (archive footage)
- Roger Velasco as Carlos Vallerte (Green Turbo Ranger #2) (Black Space Ranger) (archive footage)
- Tracy Lynn Cruz as Ashley Hammond (Yellow Turbo Ranger #2) (Yellow Space Ranger) (archive footage)
- Patricia Ja Lee as Cassie Chan (Pink Turbo Ranger #2) (Pink Space Ranger) (archive footage)
- Christopher Khayman Lee as Andros (Red Space Ranger) (archive footage)
- Justin Nimmo as Zhane (Silver Space Ranger) (archive footage)
- Melody Perkins as Astronema and Karone (morphed only) (archive footage)
- Danny Slavin as Leo Corbett (Red Galaxy Ranger) (archive footage)
- Reggie Rolle as Damon Henderson (Green Galaxy Ranger) (archive footage)
- Archie Kao as Kai Chen (Blue Galaxy Ranger) (archive footage)
- Cerina Vincent as Maya (Yellow Galaxy Ranger) (archive footage)
- Valerie Vernon as Kendrix Morgan (Pink Galaxy Ranger) (archive footage)
- Amy Miller as Trakeena (archive footage)
- Sean Cw Johnson as Carter Grayson (Red Lightspeed Ranger) (archive footage)
- Michael Chaturantabut as Chad Lee (Blue Lightspeed Ranger) (archive footage)
- Keith Robinson as Joel Rawlings (morphed only) (Green Lightspeed Ranger) (archive footage)
- Sasha Craig as Kelsey Winslow (Yellow Lightspeed Ranger) (acrive footage)
- Alison MacInnis as Dana Mitchell (Pink Lightspeed Ranger) (archive footage)
- Rhett Fisher as Ryan Mitchell (Titanium Lightspeed Ranger) (archive footage)
- Ron Roggé as Captain William Mitchell (archive footage)
- Erin Cahill as Jen Scotts (Pink Time Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Jason Faunt as Wes Collins (Red Time Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Michael Copon as Lucas Kendall (Blue Time Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Deborah Estelle Phillips as Katie Walker (Yellow Time Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Kevin Kleinberg as Trip Regis (Green Time Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Daniel Southworth as Eric Myers (Quantum Time Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Ricardo Medina, Jr. as Cole Evans (morphed only) (Red Wild Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Jack Guzman as Danny Delgado (Black Wild Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Phillip Jeanmarie as Max Cooper (Blue Wild Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Alyson Kiperman as Taylor Earhardt (Yellow Wild Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Jessica Rey as Alyssa Enrile (White Wild Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Phillip Andrew as Merrick Baliton (Lunar Wolf Wild Force Ranger) (archive footage)
- Pua Magasiva as Shane Clarke (Red Wind Ranger) (archive footage)
- Glenn McMillan as Dustin Brooks (Yellow Wind Ranger) (archive footage)
- Sally Martin as Tori Hanson (Blue Wind Ranger) (archive footage)
- Jorgito Vargas Jr. as Blake Bradley (Navy Thunder Ranger) (archive footage)
- Adam Tuominen as Hunter Bradley (Crimson Thunder Ranger) (archive footage)
- Jason Chan as Cam Watanabe (Green Samurai Ranger) (archive footage)
- Grant McFarland as Sensei Kanoi Watanabe (archive recording)/Lothor (archive footage)
- Daniel Sing as Young Kiya Watanabe (archive footage)
- The sections regarding each Power Ranger team and their respective missions become shorter and less detailed as they become more recent. This possibly reflects Tommy's lack of personal knowledge of those teams or simply time constraints on the episode's content. As such, the Galaxy Rangers are the final team in which Tommy mentions each Ranger by name (however he did miss out Karone and Mike). For Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force and Ninja Storm only the Sixth Rangers (Ryan, Eric and Cam respectively) are mentioned by name. Similarly for Wild Force, Tommy only names Cole and Merrick, but fails to mention Merrick's previous dark past as Zen-Aku.
- Tommy also makes no mention of many prominent villains throughout the show's history. The Machine Empire is only represented by Cogs featured in previous footage and King Mondo, Queen Machina and Prince Sprocket are neither seen nor mentioned. Scorpius is also not seen or mentioned despite being the main enemy of the Galaxy Rangers for the first half of the season. Similarly, Trakeena is not seen in her base form only when she merged with Deviot and her final green bug form. No villains for Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force or Wild Force are seen or mentioned by name at all, simply referred to as demons, a mutant criminal and Orgs in general. Lord Zedd is also featured very little despite being the sole enemy to the Rangers once Rita left and Serpentera is seen but not mentioned directly.
- As the events of Countdown to Destruction are neither shown nor mentioned, several key events in the history of the Power Rangers are entirely unexplained: Zordon's sacrifice at the hands of Andros and his energy wave, the purification of Rita Repulsa, Lord Zedd and Divatox and destruction of the Machine Empire, Ecliptor, Elgar and all impure villains and henchmen and the purification of Astronema backs into Karone. Despite becoming Galaxy Pink in the following season, Karone is never seen or mentioned by name as only Astronema appears. As such, Kendrix's death and rebirth are also never shown or mentioned.
- It is revealed in the beginning of this episode that Ethan knows how to hack computers, something alluded to in Day of the Dino when he rigs the sprinklers to go off at random intervals.
- Conner claims to have had a twin brother who went to a "secret ninja school", saying that everyone there knew that a few students became Rangers. This is the third time a new member of the current Rangers has had knowledge of another team of Rangers. The first being Leo who knew Andros from the invasion of Earth, and the second is Carter & Dana who were familiar with the Galaxy Rangers.
- Hayley reveals that she and Tommy have known each other since Graduate school and that she also knows Cam personally, considering him even better with technology than her.
- A number of events/characters are not featured in Tommy's video diary: Wild West Rangers (justifiable, however, as only Kimberly met them), Tom Oliver, Masked Rider, the Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers arc, Trey of Triforia, Auric the Conqueror, Blue Senturion, Phantom Ranger, "Countdown to Destruction", a redeemed Karone as Galaxy Pink (although she is technically seen morphed at the end of the Lost Galaxy footage), Mike Corbett, the Magna Defender, Alex and "Forever Red". Tanya is not mentioned taking over from Aisha Campbell or even by name, but is featured in the footage. Dimitria is also seen, but not named.
- Joel Rawlings and Cole Evans are only seen morphed, either possibly due to contractual reasons or just a quirk of editing for time.
- First onscreen naming of the Space Rangers' Astro Morphers.
- The episode begins with the following caption: "Commemorating 500 episodes, may the power live on forever."
- Conner, Ethan, and Kira do not morph during this episode, nor do they fight a monster.
- This episode is similar to the first episode of Kousoku Sentai Turboranger, Counting on You! Turboranger, which is a clipshow giving an overview of the previous Super Sentai series.
- There's a quote (see below) in which Tommy is said to be the oldest living ranger, which was corrected as he isn't even the oldest Mighty Morphin Ranger. At the time, the oldest living Ranger was probably Billy, whose actor was the oldest of the original six. The current oldest human ranger is Udonna (Merrick may have been born 3000 years ago, but he spent most of that time in cryogenic stasis and has the physical body of a man in his 20s).
- During the recollection of Zeo, Tommy makes no mention of the first Gold Zeo Ranger, only acknowledging that Jason became the Gold Ranger. Regardless, footage of Trey morphed and his voice is still onscreen.
- In the beginning of the diary, Tommy claims that Kimberly, Trini, Billy, Zack, and Jason were the Earth's first Power Rangers. In fact, the Earth's first team of Power Rangers was in the 12th century, which was around the time the Ancient Samurai Rangers battled the original wave of Nighlok.
- Tommy claims that his friends were able to destroy the Power Sword to free him from Rita's spell, but the weapon's proper name was the Sword of Darkness. This is a repeat of Zack making the very same goof when the event actually happened.
- Tommy mistakenly calls the Quasar Sabers the Galaxy Sabers.
- Tommy's video diary also forgets to mention Mike becoming the Magna Defender and Karone replacing Kendrix as the Pink Galaxy Ranger.
- In the diary, Tommy says that his Green Ranger powers were only temporary. He didn't mention anything about the Green Candle. if the candle hadn't burnt down, he would have permanently kept his powers. When Zordon gave Tommy enough power to the Green Ranger again, that's when his powers became temporary.
- Curiously, Tommy's video journal made no mention of the Aquitar Rangers (aka 'Mighty Morphin' Alien Rangers'), a team from a watery world that assisted the Earth Rangers at the end of MMPR Season 3.
- Tommy's diary did not go into details about the mission of "Power Rangers in Space," only claiming that they fought and defeated Astronema, which wasn't even true, as Astronema learned she was really Karone, the sister of Red Ranger Andros, and the leader of the evil forces was Dark Specter.