|This article is about a/an ranger in Ninja Sentai Kakuranger.|
- "NinjaBlack! Jiraiya!"
- ―NinjaBlack's roll call[src]
Jiraiya (ジライヤ Jiraiya?) is NinjaBlack (ニンジャブラック Ninja Burakku?) of the Kakurangers. He is a descendant of Jiraiya. 20 years old, he is a Japanese-American ninja from Los Angeles trained by his guardian Gali after his father was killed.
Jiraiya's clan's ancestors long ago moved to America, and had been out of contact with Japan for many years.
He first met the Kakurangers when he was pretending to help the Youkai Oboroguruma. He was, in fact, trying to claim the scrolls Oboroguruma's boss, Azukiarai, had stolen centuries beforehand. These scrolls would allow him and the other Kakurangers to become Giant Beast Generals. This course of action only resulted in him getting captured and dumped into a volcano. He was saved by his ancestor, who gave him a lecture and entrusted him with a Doron Changer, allowing Jiraiya to become NinjaBlack. He then joined the other four Kakurangers, completing the team.
While finding his Shinobi Scroll, Jiraiya was forced to battle Gali, who revealed himself to be the man who killed Jiraiya's father and is now in service of the Yokai. After the bloody battle between them, Jiraiya learned why Gali did it, as well as hoping Jiraiya would kill him as intended. Both the deaths' of Zashiki-warashi and the two men he had known since childhood give Jiraiya his reason for fighting the Youkai.
Super Sentai World
Ole vs. Kakuranger
to be added
Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai
Years later, Jiraiya fought alongside not only his own team, but every single Sentai ranger in existence, against the Empire of Zangyack when it attacked the Earth in the Great Legend War. After fighting against hundreds of Gormin and their Zgormin commanders. Kaijou noticed the fleet moving towards them, he gathered all the Rangers together and gave them the order to sacrifice their powers to wipe out the first invasion's armada. The NinjaBlack powers are later utilized by Don Dogoier via the Ranger Keys.
Farewell Space Pirates
After the Zangyack's final defeat, Marvelous returned the Ranger keys to their original owners. It is assumed Jiraiya, Tsuruhime and their teammates have their powers once again and will work alongside Ninjaman to cut down evil in the shadows once more.
Super Hero Taisen
Jiraiya, alongside his team (bar Ninjaman), among the majority of the Super Sentai heroes, was caught up in the "Super Hero Taisen" incident which eventually resulted in the Super Sentai teams and Kamen Riders joining forces to defeat both Dai-Zangyack and Dai-Shocker.
Jiraiya stands out among the characters because he speaks English frequently (which at first caused both teasing and confusion with the other team members when he speaks in English), his native language, but he learns Japanese as the show progresses. He is the pure fighter of the group and although he is skilled in Earth based ninja arts he prefers to fight utilizing his martial art skills, and is portrayed with a combination of the stereotypical cowboy and surfer persona. Unlike the other Kakuranger however, Jiraiya is at times a loner, and will often venture out to battle an enemy on his own. He is very fond of television, often becoming obsessed with fighting-based shows to the point he'll mindlessly emulate them in a fit of enthusiasm. He corresponds to Yulong.
Video Game appearances
- Jiraiya/NinjaBlack: to be added
Super Sentai Battle Base
NinjaBlack is among the vast pantheon of Rangers which are available in the mobile game Super Sentai Battle Base.
- Doron Changer
- Secret Sword Kakuremaru
- Kakulasers / Laser Knives
- Shinobi Knuckles
- Kakuranger Ball
- Three Kick: A series of jump kicks punctuated by back flips (first leap kicks once, second leap kicks twice, third leap kicks three times).
- Hidden Style: Shooting Star: NinjaBlack's signature sword technique, a quintuple slash in the formation of a pentagram.
- Rock Hell Technique: NinjaBlack summons an avalanche of boulders to attack his opponents with.
- Rock Crusher Transformation
- Earth Hiding Art: a ninpo that enables NinjaBlack to move through earth like a fish through water.
Giant Beast General Black Gammer (巨大獣将 ブラックガンマー Kyodai Jūshō Burakku Ganmā?): NinjaBlack's Juushou form, armed with the Gammer Bow. Black Gammer can perform the 'Kakureryuu Ninpo Suna Arashi,' (Hidden Style Ninja Magic: Sandstorm) a type of dust cloud. Forms Muteki Shogun's left leg. Its name is a pun on the Japanese word for toad (蝦蟇 gama?).
The NinjaBlack Ranger Key (ニンジャブラックレンジャーキー Ninja Burakku Renjā Kī?) is Jiraiya's personal Ranger Key and what became of his powers after he along with the rest of the 34 Super Sentai sacrificed their powers to end the Great Legend War.
This key along with the majority of the Ranger Keys were collected by the Red Pirates and later used by the Gokaigers. The NinjaBlack Ranger Key was mainly used by Don Dogoier (Gokai Green), who used it to fight as NinjaBlack. It was also used by Luka Millfy (Gokai Yellow) on one occasion.
- Luka became NinjaBlack alongside Joe (AbareBlack) and Ahim (Go-On Black) as part of a all-black change in their fight against Action Commander Salamandam.
- When he, Joe, and Ahim became the Kakurangers while Gai became Shurikenger when they got a Gokai Change mixed up.
- When the Gokaigers became the Kakurangers to escape from Action Commander Shieldon.
- When the Gokaigers became the Kakurangers while fighting against Action Commander Bibabu.
- When the Gokaigers became the Kakurangers while fighting alongside Ninjaman against Action Commander Juju.
The Kakuranger keys, along with all the Ranger Keys of the first 33 Super Sentai, were briefly taken by the Black Cross King and turned into Ranger puppets that were fought by the Gokaigers and the Goseigers. The Kakuranger keys were defeated by Gokai Green.
After Zangyack were finally defeated, the Gokaigers gave the Ranger Keys back to their rightful owners. Jiraiya received his key and became NinjaBlack once more.
Behind the scenes
- Jiraiya shares his name with another tokusatsu hero, Jiraiya of the Metal Heroes series, Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya. Both are named after the ninja Jiraiya of Japanese folklore.
- He is the only male Kakuranger whose name does not begin with the letter "S".
- Jiraiya is the first male Sentai hero associated in the United States but only the fourth overall. (The first three were all female).
- He is the first Sentai Ranger that can speak perfect english, followed by Gaku Washio, Makito Ozu and Kinji Takigawa.
- Kakuranger as a series was intended in part to be social commentary, and the addition of Jiraiya is no exception. Jiraiya is a nikkeijin -- a person of Japanese descent who was raised outside Japan. Where nikkeijin fit into Japanese society was a hot topic in 90's Japan, and debate continues to this day.
- Jiraiya is the youngest male Kakuranger.
- Corcus - Power Rangers counterpart in Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers. See comparison page.
- Adam Park - Power Rangers counterpart in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Season 3). See comparison page.
- Ryuu Hoshikawa - First Black Sentai ninja
- Japanese diaspora on Wikipedia.
- NinjaBlack at the Super Sentai Battle: Dice-O official website
- NinjaBlack at the Dice-O Wiki
Shirou • Kanpei • Ryuu • Shou • Kenta • Tetsuya • Daichi • Fumiya • Gai • Goushi • Jiraiya • Riki
Kouichirou • Sotaro • Asuka • Masumi • Gunpei • Agri • Ian • Misao
|View • Talk • Edit|