|This article is about a/an episode in Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger Season 2.|
|Ep. 5: Delusional Imports|
|Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger Season 2, Episode 5|
|Air date 3 May 2013|
|Written by Naruhisa Arakawa|
|Directed by Nobuhiro Suzumura|
Ep. 4: Delusional Goddess
Ep. 6: Delusional Niangniang
A delusion has caused the origin of Super Sentai to go from Japan to the United States, making Nobuo's love for the franchise go international.
Akagi and Yumeria plans of celebrate Luna's return to the Akibarangers is cut short when Hakase revealed she only hired her for the day and can not afford her services full time. However, though his reasons were pure, the group scheme to get Luna to join their group by any means. Finding her at an audition held by the famous American director George Spielburton, Akagi and company learned her lost the role to her rival Akina Maihama. After talking with Luna about it, Akagi realizes that Akina reenacted Queen Hedrian's dance scene from the 15th episode of Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan and deduced that Spielburton is a Super Sentai fan. Luna mentions that he was playing with some Super Sentai figurines during the audition, with Akagi showing her an image related to Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger.
However, Akagi is shocked upon researching about Zyuranger just to find that somehow its origin is listed to be from the United States instead of Japan, under the name Powerful Rangers. Soon after, with her and a group of Oneeders posing as a group of monks, Malseena appears and hands out pictures of Sentai villain actresses during dress rehearsals. Attempting to fight Malseena in the Delusion World, the Akibarangers finds themselves attacked by an "Americanized" Tyranno Ranger and Dragon Ranger, forcing Hakase to have them retreat. Back at the Himitsukichi, Kozukozu informs the others that somehow reality has been written that Powerful Rangers is the source of Super Sentai franchise instead of the other way, with Hyakujuu Sentai GaoRanger, the first entry yet the source of a major copyright infringement as it was made from its American version without permission.
Despite browsing though several shops in Akihabara to confirm the reality change, with Luna amazed of their passion, Akagi and Yumeria learn that restoring the Zyuranger brothers is the only way to restore things. However, with Akiba Blue standing on the sidelines, Akiba Red and Akiba Yellow are outmatched against Malseena, the Zyuranger brothers, and the Trinoid Kunimasmaphogany. Luckily, despite the beating they take from the brothers, Akagi and Yumeria reach Tyranno Ranger and Dragon Ranger by mentioning some facts about their series and with Akagi restoring them with a toy replica of Zyusouken. Malseena falls back as Zyurangers entrust the Akibarangers with the Zyuran Buckler, which they use to finish Kunimasmaphogany. Upon return to reality, the Akibarangers learn that the history of the Super Sentai was once again restored and Luna decides to stay in the team as it may help with her idol career.
- Nobuo Akagi: Masato Wada (和田 正人 Wada Masato?)
- Luna Iwashimizu: Shione Sawada (澤田 汐音 Sawada Shione?)
- Yumeria Moegi: Karin Ogino (荻野 可鈴 Ogino Karin?)
- Hiroyo Hakase: Maaya Uchida (内田 真礼 Uchida Maaya?)
- Kozukozu Mita: Kozue Aikawa (愛川 こずえ Aikawa Kozue?, of Danceroid)
- ©Na: Honoka (穂花?)
- General Tsu: Ryo Horikawa (堀川 りょう Horikawa Ryō?)
- Akina Maihama: Sakina Kuwae (桑江 咲菜 Kuwae Sakina?)
- George Spielburton: Koichi Sakamoto (坂本 浩一 Sakamoto Kōichi?)
- Kunimasmaphogany (Voice): Katsuyuki Konishi (小西 克幸 Konishi Katsuyuki?)
- TyrannoRanger (Voice): Tomokazu Seki (関 智一 Seki Tomokazu?)
- DragonRanger (Voice): Takeshi Kusao (草尾 毅 Kusao Takeshi?)
Tropes and References
- In the delusional universe within this episode, Super Sentai never existed until the arrival of American import Powerful Rangers in 1993, which is the exact reverse of the actual America/Japan situation between franchises.
- While the Zyurangers are "teenagers with attitude", they bully the Akibarangers and call them "knockoffs" of the Powerful Rangers. This could be a reference to the real life Super Sentai vs. Power Rangers arguments found on the Internet, as well as a common misconception had by many uninformed outsiders to both franchises and their history.
- The monster of the week is General Tsu's "original character" trinoid. The Trinoids are a villain group from Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger.
- When Luna explains about her idol rival Akina doing the Queen's dance of avarice, Nobuo mentions that the dance was from Queen Hedrian, the villainess in Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan episode The Queen's Greed Dance. Queen Hedrian was portrayed by Machiko Soga, who also portrayed Witch Bandora, another Sentai villainess in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger.
- Nobuo also reveals that Spielburton was a big fan of Diane Martin/Miss America from Battle Fever J, since he really went out of his way to gather all the American-related Sentai stuff to throw in this episode. Funnily, George Spielburton is portrayed by Koichi Sakamoto, the director for the Power Rangers' series.
- Nobuo and Yuuko tried to persuade Tyrannoranger and Dragonranger by referencing the line Zyuranger as "eternal warriors", "warriors of passion" and "always by the kids' side". Supposedly, this line is from Zyuranger's opening theme.
- The Zyusouken toy played by Nobuo accurately playing the same sound from the TV show. Nowadays, it's only natural to expect a toy to replicate the same sound as in the show, but in the past, that was not necessarily the case. So the toy Zyusouken was regarded as a high class item for reproducing the sound accurately.
- However, this copy has the Dragonranger emblem off by 90 degrees from the one in the show.
- Normally the Zyusouken is used to control Dragon Caesar, but this time it's used to gain control over the Zyurangers.
- Before Tyrannoranger and Dragonranger lends their Ludicrous Power to AkibaBlue, they both shout the line, "You'll be surprised when you hear this!", the line of catchphrase from the currently-running Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, another dinosaur-themed Super Sentai series.
- During the rollcall, Nobuo refers to the Zyuranger's insert song Dragon Caesar no Uta and performs Witch Bandora's Dora Dora dance after that.
- Kozkoz wears cosplay dress as Jan Kandou from Gekiranger .
- When the Zyuranger return to normal and their theme comes on, the credit gives the singer as Red Turbo. Kenta Sato, who sang the Zyuranger theme, was originally likewise the theme singer and the Red for the Turborangers.
- to be added
- This episode's ending is girls in trouble! DEKARANGER, Dekaranger's alternate ending theme.
- The character George Spielburton is a mash-up of three American movie directors: George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Tim Burton.
- There's a slight changes in the OP, with Tazuko slapping Nobuo with clipboard scene was replaced by Super AkibaRed and Malshina's Battle Mode.
- The Munyu Munyu Zuuban figure was added to the sponsor's section.
- In this episode, Akina refers General Tsu as Ushirozawa-sensei.
- The Akibaranger's embarassing photo explicitly shown in this episode.
- The first photo was from the cosplay scene in Episode 4, but here they're pictures of them getting into their costumes.
- In the flashback during Luna's audition, Spielburton was seen playing S.H. Figuarts Tyrannoranger and Dragonranger. The Figuarts was yet to be released as this episode was filmed a couple of months ago.