|This article is about a/an set of rangers in Power Rangers S.P.D.|
|Coexisted with:||B-Squad Rangers|
|Rangers battled:||B-Squad Rangers|
Ninja Steel Rangers
The A-Squad Rangers are the first team of S.P.D. Rangers. As such, they are known to the best-of-the-best of the academy. However they went M.I.A. after they were sent off on a mission, thus leaving the protection of Earth to the B-Squad.
The A-Squad were the Space Patrol Delta Academy's elite Ranger team, the defenders of Earth. During their early appearances in the series, they only appeared morphed and were sent out to face the newest threat to the planet's safety. However, the A-Squad were actually corrupt; at first, Bridge had sensed "something off" with their aura, but didn't get the chance to find out what. In the episode "Confronted", the A-Squad is sent to the Helix Nebula to defend it from Emperor Gruumm. This however, was a trap, and all contact was lost with them after it was made clear that they were being overwhelmed. They were considered "Missing in Action".
Unknown to the Rangers, the A-Squad survived and defected to Gruumm's side, wanting to be on "the winning team" (as stated in "Endings"). They bided their time, destroying the SPD Gamma 4 base for unknown reasons which gave Kat and Cruger some suspicions of who the attackers were after an interrupted distress communication made by a SPD personnel had startled them (confirmed at conventions and in interviews by the show's producers), before finally faking a crash-land on Gamma-Orion and sending an SOS to have the B-Squad 'find' them alive. The B-Squad Rangers soon became frustrated when Cruger abruptly dismissed them to debrief the A-Squad and they realized that they were once again "the reserves, zord cleanup detail," as Jack Landors put it. After a year of being Earth's main line of defense, they were pushed aside.
However, the A-Squad revealed their true allegiance and kidnapped Commander Cruger. Following this treachery, the B-Squad battled with the A-Squad. Despite the A-Squad initially having the upper hand in combat, the B-Squad managed to overcome them with a combination of smarter battle tactics and S.W.A.T. Mode. Escalating the battle, the A-Squad upped the ante by unleashing their own Megazord, which transformed from Broodwing's drill vehicle. A battle ensued, but when the Delta Command Base was overtaken by Broodwing's forces and transformed into the Delta Command Megazord to destroy the city, the Omegamax Megazord was disabled and the Delta Squad Megazord was destroyed. After the B-Squad had recovered, they recovered the S.W.A.T. flyers from the secret underground zord bay- which only Bridge had known about-, using the S.W.A.T. Megazord to destroy the A-Squad's Megazord, finally defeating them.
The A-Squad was found guilty of treason and were contained by the B-Squad without a further fight. As a consequence of their previous users corruption, and at the request of B-Squad (who felt that they were B-Squad rather than A-Squad) the A-Squad "ranking" was retired.
In the pages of Jetix Magazine, the A-Squad make an appearance in the S.P.D. comic strip, in the two part "finale" of the strip "Invasion". Here, they are brainwashed by Gruumm as opposed to corrupted, and turn on the S.P.D. defense armada orbiting Earth. They are arrested by the B-Squad with the charges of treason, and are never seen again. Their ranking is given to B-Squad for defeating Gruumm and Omni however, they turn it down and remain the B-Squad instead.
The full capabilities of the A-Squad are unknown. They are seen to possess the ability to morph instantaneously without using a Morpher of any kind, and their Ranger suits are heavily armored, suggesting greater endurance. Their primary weapons are large and powerful laser cannons, but they do not appear to have anything beyond that. Aside from the Delta Runners, they were shown piloting a Zord that could transform into a drill-based vehicle. It is presumed to be of S.P.D. origin, due to its cockpit design and various "S.P.D." decals; however, its outward appearance, when compared to other S.P.D. zords, suggests it may have been modified heavily.
In terms of fighting ability, they are said to be "the best of the best", able to take down their counterparts easily, focusing on heavy firepower of their weapons; however, once the B-Squad converted to S.W.A.T. Mode and had equal armor and weaponry to the A-Squad, they were able to easily defeat the A-Squad. It has been speculated that the A-Squad underestimated the B-Squad's skills and were caught off-guard.
|A-Squad Red Ranger||Charlie||Gina Varela|
|A-Squad Blue Ranger||A-Squad Blue Ranger||Nick Kemplen (voice)|
|A-Squad Green Ranger||A-Squad Green Ranger||D.J. Sena (voice)|
|A-Squad Yellow Ranger||A-Squad Yellow Ranger||Greg Cooper, II (voice)|
|A-Squad Pink Ranger||A-Squad Pink Ranger||Motoko Nagino, Claire Dougan (voice)|
The A-Squad suits were kitbashed together from various sources, most recognizably the re-molded helmets from Power Rangers in Space. The updated helmets featured silver around the visors with an S.P.D. logo above the visor and silver vents adorning the top and sides of the helmet. The Black Space Ranger's helmet was repainted green for this series. The actual suit also appears to be color matched motocross padding with black spandex, the same or similar armor being sourced from Power Rangers Lost Galaxy. The lasers appear to be modified airsoft or paintball guns.
There also seems to be a slight similarity between the suits of A-Squad and S.W.A.T. Mode, as both are heavily black armors that give the Rangers large guns for weapons.
- The A-Squad Rangers are the first truly corrupt team of Rangers (instead of being brainwashed into becoming evil, such as Tommy, manipulated like the Thunder Rangers, or being created as evil, such as the Psycho Rangers).
- While they do not have official names, members of the Power Rangers fanon have given the other four A-Squad Rangers names. The names are Rachel (the pink ranger), Cliff (the green ranger), Ivan (the yellow ranger) and Beevor (the blue ranger). At a convention, Bruce Kalish admitted he liked the names, however whether or not the names are canon has not been determined.
- The armor on the A-Squad's suits is reminiscent of the B-Squad's SWAT Mode. This is likely their equivalent, which would explain how B-Squad could only defeat them after they went into SWAT Mode.
- This is the second Ranger team that has both Blue Ranger and a male Yellow Ranger on the same team, the first being the Alien Rangers.
- They are the first Ranger team that turned to evil of their own choice, not because of blackmail or brainwashing. They are also the first team with a female Red Ranger.
- Like Titanium Ranger and Spirit Rangers, the A-Squad Rangers are American-exclusive Power Rangers in the franchise.
- Only Red A-Squard Ranger and Yellow are the first evil rangers to have their simillar evil Sentai counterparts after the main event.
- The A-Squad Rangers are similar to the Neo-Jetman from Choujin Sentai Jetman, being made up of unnamed, black colored (although the A-Squad Rangers have their own color designations), militarized Rangers who are considered superior to the show's main team, replacing them upon arrival, and being dissolved by the end of their screen time on their shows. However, they have key differences from each other:
- The A-Squad Rangers were traitors of SPD, who killed their own and joined Gruum to be on the "winning" team, while the Neo-Jetman stayed on the side of good, despite being antagonistic to the original Jetman team.
- The A-Squad Rangers superseded the B-Squad Rangers when they came back to SPD, turning them into the reserve team, while the Neo-Jetman were made to take over for the Jetman.
- The Neo-Jetman sacrificed their powers to restore the original Jetman, while the A-Squad were arrested upon defeat, and were presumably stripped of their powers.