|This article is about a/an ally in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo, and Power Rangers Turbo.|
|Season:|| Mighty Morphin|
|First Appearance:||Day of the Dumpster|
|Last Appearance:||Passing the Torch (2)|
|Number of Episode|
Full list of appearances
|Actor:||Richard Steven Horvitz|
Alpha 5 was the robotic assistant to the rangers during Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Zeo. Alpha was an extremely important factor in the Power Rangers' battle against evil and acted as a secondary mentor to them, under his friend, the wise sage Zordon of Eltar. Alpha became famous for using the phrase "ay yi yi" in situations that involved any kind of emotion (most commonly panic). He worked in the Command Center most of the time, only getting out on a few occasions, and almost always obeyed every command and order that Zordon issued.
Alpha, was a fully-sentient multifunctional automaton robot built by King Lexian on the planet Edenoi. He is the second Alpha automaton to be in the service of Zordon, succeeding Alpha 4. Alpha 5 assisted Zordon in the creation of the original Power Rangers as well as the Command Center. Alpha was an advisor, mechanic, tech-wizard, and overall friend to the Power Rangers from Mighty Morphin leading up to Power Rangers: Turbo. Alpha was dearly loved by the Rangers and Zordon.
In Power Rangers: Turbo, when the opportunity presented itself, Alpha 5 left with Zordon to the planet Eltar and was replaced by Alpha 6. His last appearance is in the episode Passing the Torch, where he and Zordon returned to witness the veteran rangers passing on their powers, and oddly, he is in his old robot suit. He's not been seen or heard of since. Wild Force writer Amit Bhaumik has said that he takes the view that Alpha was slaughtered in the battle when Dark Specter invaded the planet, Eltar, but there is no official confirmation.
Behind the Scenes
- On Alpha's chest was a yellow stylized lightning bolt similar to the Power Rangers' stylized lightning bolt symbol but it was inverted. His head is always in the shape of an inflated hockey puck.
- In the VHS Power Rangers special, Alpha's Magical Christmas, Alpha sings Christmas carols with a large group of children that are mysteriously teleported away from their homes. Some of the songs are:
- Oh Christmas Tree
- Good King Wenceslas
- Here We Come A-Caroling
- Jingle Bells
- Deck the Halls
- Up on the Housetop
- Silent Night.
- He also sings We Wish You A Merry Christmas with Kimberly Hart (Amy Jo Johnson), Billy Cranston (David Yost), and Thomas Oliver (Jason David Frank) who mysteriously is shown throughout the special as both the Green and White Rangers. Some of the songs have a few of Alpha's special "aye yi yi" touch-ups.
- Alpha was succeeded by Alpha 6 and Alpha 7.
- In one episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, he became evil by the forceful insertion of a disk containing a computer virus that rapidly spread to his systems.
- In the episode Teamwork, Alpha made an attempt at learning how to dance Zack's dancing/fighting style, hip hop kido. He didn't do very well, as he kept causing static in the communicators.
- In the Green with Evil miniseries, Alpha was given a virus by the Green Ranger and ended up feeling weak. He was later turned off by the Green Ranger, but his back-up system kicked in. He then orders the computer to activate a force field around the Ranger.
- In the episode Life's a Masquerade, Alpha's desire to "party" with the Rangers caused him to leave the Command Center temporarily and attend a costume party with them, using his robotic body as a "disguise" of sorts. At the end of the episode, he won first prize for his "costume", and had a lot of ladies flirting with him. In another episode, Alpha again teleported down to a Halloween party in Angel Grove, but we never see him go there.
- In Power Rangers S.P.D., a planet named "Alpha 5" is mentioned.
- Tensou, the robotic assistant of Gosei who serves a similar role to Alpha 5 in Power Rangers Megaforce.